Robe pattern and colours

The Vogue cape pattern (8959) is on sale, so I purchased it today.  I'm thinking of making it w/o the collar, just facing at the neck edge.

Based on the line drawing on the pattern envelope, here's one way to recreate a version of my school's PhD robe:




This model (a version of view C) would omit the collar from the pattern, add a decorative black velvet yoke and trim on front and around neck, and shorten about 6".

Instead of chevrons on gown sleeves, I would sew the ends of velvet strips into the seams of the side panels of the cape.

I would put three buttons (as on view A), one of which will anchor the hood.  Adding velvet strips down the front will help serve as a counterweight to the hood (augmented perhaps by inner mini pockets behind band to slip in weights).






Here's how it would look in the rear, with an Aberdeen-style full hood trimmed in PhD blue velvet.


Here is the front again, showing the hood.


















Comments

  1. How did it turn out? Thinking of trying to sew my own PhD commencement regalia :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also attempting to sew my own regalia. I'd love to see some pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I got started

Hood

Robe