Hood


At first I thought I’d just purchase the hood, since I found it hard to identify the principles of construction for this dangling-strangling-slipping contraption.  But I’ve done some research and think this is a doable project.  The basic idea is that the academic hood is a stylized version of a medieval robin-hood type hood.    
Here’s a sketch of the pattern for the ordinary hood.  The main parts are the COWL (opening around face), CAPE/GORGET (the part that sits around the neck) and LIRIPIPE (the point at the peak, back of head).


In the stylized academic hood, the cowl and cape are extremely elongated, with all kinds of variation on the shape and length of the liripipe.  Via Wikipedia, I found an extremely useful chart of basic shapes of different doctoral hoods, including the pattern for each!  I determined, from looking at photos online, that the pattern than best fits my alma mater’s doctoral hood is of the Aberdeen style, and the closest matches are “Dundee” and “CNAA”. 

DUNDEE  
CNAA

(In these patterns, the S-curve is the cowl and the long mainly straight edge is the cape.  The liripipe is the top point in the semicircular cutout.)


WHAT WILL THE HOOD COST?

For shell and lining, you need 1-1/2 yards of 45” fabric each.  Plus 3/8 yard for binding. That’s 3-3/8 yard @ $30, = $101.  Plus ¾ yard of velvet (assuming bias cut) @$30 yard = $23.
total = $124.  Compare a purchased hood from same vendor as robe comparison $180-190.  Less of a saving than for the robe.  But if I’m making the robe, why not the hood too?


Here is a prototype I made of the hood.

Here are my current thoughts on how to make the hood





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I got started

Robe